Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet the teacher

Well, I’m officially entering a new chapter in parenthood, called the public school years! I can hardly believe it’s time, but Sarah starts kindergarten on Monday. I realized I truly hadn’t given it that much thought since I was so preoccupied with Carlton’s departure. But now it’s upon us and I felt a strange sort of excitement walking through the halls of her school tonight as we went to meet her teacher. True to Sarah’s personality, we weren’t able to really tell if she was excited about kindergarten and she was expressing several concerns about school and her teacher throughout the day today (like, she didn’t want her teacher to be old!). Naturally, I was concerned that taking her to meet-the-teacher tonight was only going to add to her anxiety, and my inability to change her mind about how wonderful school will be. But, when her new teacher had everyone in the room sing happy b-day to Sarah, well that just saved the day. Thank goodness for Mrs. Garcia’s intuition! When Sarah was getting out of the car at home she said, “Mom, school isn’t so bad after all!” Whew – can you say relief?

2 comments:

Mary Anna said...

Thinking about you today on the first day. I can't believe how much Sarah's grown up - it seems like just yesterday that we met and she was just taking her first steps!

Erin said...

I hope her first day was awesome and not too hard on you... It is amazing to watch them grow up, but always a little sad when they hit such a milestone. Tell Sarah Hi, from Lucy. She likes looking at her pictures!