Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Julia's first day of preschool ... well, kind of


Today I dropped Julia off at her first day of preschool at Northern Hills church and she did great! She actually attended mothers-day-out at a different church last year, so whether you call it MDO or preschool, she's already had a year of this. But this year she's going to a different church, so in a way it's a "first."

She strutted her tough-guy walk (something that makes her such an individual ... a sweet little blonde haired girl that walks very macho sometimes!) from the car to the building as if she had done it a hundred times. When we got to her room she was a little more reserved and held onto my leg as I helped her teachers get her belongings in the right cubbies/baskets. But the teacher quickly distracted her with some dolls as I left the room.

As I walked out to the car, I was torn between feelings of elation since I now had a few hours of freedom to spend my time as I pleased and a tinge of sadness that another year was starting, which inevitably means time is marching along and my little girls are growing up. Now, I love to watch and experience each step of my girls growing up - I marvel at the way they learn and the way they transform from chubby-cheeked babies to toddlers and then "big girls" who want nothing to do with bows in their hair. So I let a few tears well in my eyes as I drove off in my sentimental state, and then quickly cranked up my music and started cleaning my house. (Yep, that's what I chose to do with my first day to myself ... it was badly needed!)

No comments: